Intro Survey: [Done out on the first day of class, even before handing out the course syllabus. As a hard copy handout, collected as students complete it. I use the responses to create a Human Bingo icebreaker for next class, and refer to some of the responses to kick off lessons and sections of the course that connect.] You can read more about Human Bingo and download a template at the Human Bingo Icebreaker link.
Do not include your name. This will be returned to you for future use.
Given the following definition of ‘<course name or topic>’: “<provide definition here>”, respond to these questions:
- List one or two topics of interest to you that might fall into the above definition.
- What is a topic or issue currently in the media that relates to the above definition?
- What are one or two of your favourite outdoor activities?
- What are one or two other things that you enjoy in your life?
- What is one organization in the community might relate to human ecology?
- What do you hope to achieve from taking this course? (besides a high mark of course!)
- What will you contribute to this course?
- With a simple drawing inside the space below [it is a square of approximately 2” x 2”], illustrate what you are thinking about <topic of course>.]
You can download a version of the survey in Word to use or adapt in your course. I ask for attribution please. Cassidy_IntroSurvey