At the recent zoom meeting of our group of ISW facilitators, where we shared ‘Non-astounding facilitation devices’, I contributed this one. Hope you find it useful.
A key aspect of my philosophy of teaching is to help students learn by inviting them to connect their own lives and interests to the material and processes. I have always designed assignments and assessments to meet these goals.
To read more, and find materials you may wish to use or adapt, visit
My birthday gift involves a challenge to you.
I invite you to do one ‘good deed’ and if you choose, let me know about it. I hope to hear of lots of good deeds. Here are some suggestions; I am sure you know of others.
1. Do a good deed for a stranger; commit a random act of kindness.
2. Tell someone close to you what they mean to you.
3. Phone, email or mail (that thing with stamps) someone you have not connected with in a while.
4. Donate money or materials/resources to a charity, group or cause important to you.
5. Volunteer your time to a charity, group or cause important to you.
6. Look on the bright side for a whole day! Change your perspective for the better.
7. Give blood.
8. “Pay it forward” if you can.
9. Support a local business.
10. Thank someone who does a service for you.
11. Add one item to your recycling, researching where to take it
Thanks to Celia Popovic who created this resource with many links for educational developers and others who help teachers. Included are links to those (myself included) who signed up for mentoring and consultancy.
Once at the link, scroll to the bottom to see 12 Connections
2Sipos, Y. and 2Nyrose, S. (2020), “Programs, Workshops, Resources, and Other Supports for Post-Secondary Sustainability Educators”, Sengupta, E., Blessinger, P. and Yamin, T. (Ed.) Integrating Sustainable Development into the Curriculum ( Innovations in Higher Education Teaching and Learning, Vol. 18), Emerald Publishing Limited, pp. 75-89. https://doi.org/10.1108/S2055-364120200000018023 Posted to ResearchGate https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340004939_Programs_Workshops_Resources_and_Other_Supports_for_Post-Secondary_Sustainability_Educators